H-1B status is for individuals with specialty occupations coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform services of a professional nature. Under current regulations, H-1B status is granted for an initial period of three years, and a three year extension is possible for a maximum duration of six years. H-1B petition is employer specific.

Dependents of H-1B holders are eligible for H-4 status. H-4 holders are not eligible to work in the U.S.

UCLA will support H-1B status for an individual who has been offered a full-time temporary position as a faculty member, researcher, or other professional which is critical to the institution's academic or research mission. Examples of payroll titles which qualify are Lecturer or higher faculty title, Postdoctoral Scholar (3252), Staff Research Associate II or higher, and Programmer/Analyst II or higher. A job offer of three or more years is required. UCLA students are not eligible for UCLA H-1B petition sponsorship.

Current UCLA policy requires that an outside attorney be retained to assist with all H-1B cases. The Dashew Center and coordination with the DGSOM Visa and Licensing Office will provide counseling in determining strategies for a case and selecting an attorney; review documents prepared by the attorney; ensure compliance with UCLA’s policy, procedure, and format; obtain university signatures; and provide status reports.

Processing Time

USCIS processing time can be greatly reduced by submitting a premium processing request, along with the H petition, to the USCIS. This check for $2,805 should be made payable to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Premium processing time at USCIS cannot exceed 15 working days.

Procedures and Guidelines

Request for H-1B Sponsorship

Please contact the Dashew Center for International Students and Scholar’s Employment Based Unit for forms and fees.

UCLA GME Visa Policy