TN Professionals Under NAFTA

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican citizens in designated professions maybe admitted into the United States in TN status for one-year intervals to work in their professions. Please note there are substantial differences in the procedures to acquire TN status for Canadian and Mexican citizens. Those individuals who have legal permanent residence in Canada, but do not have Canadian citizenship are ineligible for TN status. Citizens of Canada may use TN status to teach and do research at the University. The TN category for physicians does not support a clinical residency or fellowship. Citizens of Mexico may use the TN visa status to do research. The documentation and procedures for Mexican nationals to obtain TN status involve the filing of a Labor Condition Application (LCA), a process similar to the H-1B category. For TN applications and processing guidelines, please contact the Dashew Center for International Students &Scholars (DCISS).