POLICY ON ELIGIBILITY, SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
The purpose of this policy is to establish standards for recruitment, selection and appointment of residents and fellows as performed by the ACGME Residency and Fellowship Program Directors with oversight by the Institution's GMEC and in accordance with ACGME, California physician licensing requirements, and Visa requirements.
This policy applies to all ACGME-accredited training programs in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
To be eligible to be a UCLA house officer (resident or fellow), applicants must meet Visa requirements* (if applicable), and meet one of the following qualifications:
- graduation from a medical school in the United States or Canada, accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- graduation from a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States, accredited by the American Osteopathic Association Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOACOCA)
- graduation from a medical school outside of the United States or Canada, and meeting one of the following additional qualifications:
- valid certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), and/or
- valid full and unrestricted California medical license
- compliance with Federal law with regards to Selective Service for programs whose curriculum includes required training at a Veteran’s Affairs or other Federal facility
Each program is responsible for the selection of their house staff, and will have a selection committee that will review the credentials of all applicants.
Programs that participate in the National Resident Matching Program or another Specialty Match program must adhere to the respective match policies.
For appointment as a UCLA house officers, trainees must comply with State of California Physician Licensure requirements. Requirements are located on either the California Medical Board website: https://www.mbc.ca.gov/Licensing/ , or Osteopathic Medical Board website: https://www.ombc.ca.gov/ (see Medical License Policy).
Initial appointments for residents and fellows are for one year.
*Visa requirements: https://medschool.ucla.edu/gme-international-medical-graduates
Effective Date: 7/23/2007
Revised: 5/25/2022, 12/5/2022