Steps To Completing Your Medical School Application
You’ve got the dream; we’ve got your roadmap
Learn what to expect and proceed with confidence
Applying to medical school and the medical school application process can be daunting. We’re here to help you learn what to expect and proceed with confidence. Preview every step in the process, dig into costs, sort through the prerequisites, and get to know the people, the programs, and the pioneering culture that make UCLA the best place to launch your promising career in medicine.
Medical School Application Process
There are many elements to the journey of applying for medical school and many medical schools do it differently. Here are some of the major steps that you can expect at UCLA.
- Submit your primary medical school application with AMCAS
- Select individuals are invited to submit a secondary application
- Select individuals are invited to interview, which will be specific to the track for which you are granted an interview
- Offers of admission are issued on a rolling basis for the Traditional MD track and on a cohort basis for the MSTP and Prime-LA
You are welcome to attend an informational session with the Admissions Staff should you have questions about the medical school application process.
Ready to Apply?
Great! Follow these 4 steps to complete the process and submit your primary medical school application, regardless of your chosen track.
The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA participates in AMCAS and utilizes a rolling admissions schedule.
The American Medical College Application Service® (AMCAS®) is the AAMC's centralized medical school application processing service. Most U.S. medical schools use AMCAS as the primary application method for their first-year entering classes.
- Traditional: Select "University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine".
- PRIME: Select "University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine". On the Secondary Application, you may choose to select the "Dual Consideration Option" to also be considered for the Traditional MD Track.
- MSTP: Select "University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine". On the Secondary Application, you may choose to select the "Dual Consideration Option" to also be considered for the Traditional MD Track.
The MCAT is a required component of your medical school application. It is recommended that all candidates take the Medical College Admission Test in the spring, but it must be taken no later than September of the year preceding admission to the School of Medicine.
If more than one MCAT was taken, all the test grades must be included when submitting your application.
MCAT scores from January 2018 through September 15, 2023, will be accepted for consideration. For questions about registration and test administration contact: email@example.com.
Submit your application by the DGSOM deadline of October 2, 2023 (11:59 PM EST). MCAT test scores will be accepted until October 31, 2023.
For those re-taking the test
We recommend submitting your application around the time you are re-taking the exam to be considered in the DGSOM rolling admissions process. In the rolling admissions process, applications are reviewed on a monthly basis in the fall. Applications receive the same consideration regardless of the month in which they are reviewed.
We require 3 to 5 letters of recommendation. Letters should be from individuals who know the applicant well and from individuals who have spent a significant time with them, e.g. PI or mentor.
If your pre-health advisory office provides a committee letter, this letter will fulfill one letter requirement. The “committee letter” is also known as a composite letter, which is comprised of an evaluative letter and overall recommendations from several individuals within a single letter upload.
Please note: A letter packet, comprised of individual letters may also be known to the applicant as a “committee letter”. If a letter packet is provided for your medical school application and contains at least 3 letters, then no additional letters should be submitted.
Letters are to be submitted with the completed AMCAS application. Please note that only those letters submitted through AMCAS will be accepted.
AAMC PREVIEW EXAM
For Traditional MD Program Track Applicants: Complete the AAMC PREview Exam
2024 Cycle: The PREview score submission deadline date is November 15, 2023.
To further enhance our holistic review process for Traditional MD Program Track applicants during the 2024 application cycle, we are requiring the completion of the Association of American Medical Colleges Professional Readiness Exam (AAMC PREviewTM). We will consider scores as one part of our admissions process to better understand and evaluate the whole applicant. Applicants to our other program tracks will not have this requirement.
Your PREview exam score is required to complete your application and should be provided as early as possible in the application season. PREview exam scores do not expire.
Please pay careful attention to information about the exam, including preparation materials, test registration, requests for accommodations, and important dates and deadlines.
- All application documents must be submitted through the AMCAS application portal.
- Updates to your medical school application will only be accepted when you submit your secondary application.
- The Admissions Committee makes an effort to seek out qualified applicants, and when a secondary application is requested, a processing fee of $95.00 will be required. Fee waivers, based solely on economic need, are granted only to applicants who have qualified for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program.
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA participates in AMCAS and utilizes a rolling admissions schedule.
AMCAS medical school application deadline: October 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Applicant's response to acceptance offer: Maximum time, 15 days
|Key Deadlines and Events||Dates and Timeframes|
|AMCAS Application Deadline||October 2, 2023 (11:59 p.m. EST)|
|Secondary Application Deadline||2 weeks from the date and time of invitation|
|Screening of Completed Applications||July - November|
|Interviews||August - March|
|Offers of Admission||Starting October 15, 2023|