- High Aims is a 2-year program that enrolls undergraduate UCLA students, and is run by the Academic Advancement Program’s (AAP) Office of Graduate Mentoring and Research Programs. This program provides academic, career, and mentoring support to AAP students who have the goal of being admitted to a health profession school. The UIM-COE team provides student support for UCLA undergraduate students to participate in the program. Learn more about High Aims.
- Premedical Enrichment Program (PREP) is a 5-week summer program for junior, senior, and postbacc premedical students that is run by David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM). This program helps premedical students strengthen their ability and readiness to study medicine. Participation in the PREP program allows students to improve their chances of being accepted to medical school and to succeed once there. The UIM-COE is able to fund additional spots to students attending Cal Poly Humboldt, UC Riverside or CSU San Bernardino, areas where there is a physician shortage. Learn more about PREP.
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a 6-week summer program for freshman and sophomore students, and is run by David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM) in collaboration with the school of Dentistry, and Nursing. The mission of SHPEP is to improve student’s learning skills, strengthen their foundation in science, show the students a variety of healthcare issues affecting medically underserved communities, and to guide them through educational pathways that lead to providing medical, nursing, dental, and health services to those same underserved populations. The UIM-COE has assisted with recruitment and promotion of the program to further outreach to students. Learn more about SHPEP.
PRIME-LA is a 5-year concurrent degree program leading to an MD and a Masters in areas that complement the mission of the program. The mission of the program is to develop leaders in medicine addressing policy, care and research in healthcare for the underserved. The UIM-COE supports medical student research, travel, facilitates community clinical training sites, and Interprofessional Education training. The UIM-COE supports all medical students at DGSOM which includes PRIME LA. Learn more about PRIME-LA.
MEDPEP is a year-long program that focuses on community college students, transfer student, and graduate students that is run by the Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture (CESLAC). The UIM-COE provided support to further enhance the program's mission and goals.
Other COE Initiatives
- Cal Poly Humboldt Collaboration
We are partnering with Cal Poly Humboldt to allocate spots for UCLA PREP summer program to students enrolled or recently graduated from Cal Poly Humboldt. If this opportunity interests you, please email Dr. Gregg Gold.
- Recruitment in the Inland Empire
We have a special initiative to increase recruitment from the Inland Empire underserved communities (Riverside and San Bernardino County). Specifically students who attend the local community college, California State University, San Bernardino, or University of California, Riverside to participate in the UCLA PREP summer program. If this opportunity interests you, please email UIM-COE.