UCLA GME RECORDS RETENTION POLICY
Programs must ensure appropriate retention of training records in compliance with ACGME and UCLA/UCOP requirements.
This policy applies to all UCLA-sponsored ACGME-accredited residency and fellowship programs.
Programs must ensure appropriate retention of training records in compliance with ACGME and UCLA/UCOP requirements. Records may be retained as paper, electronic, or otherwise.
Indefinite or Permanent Record Retention
Programs and/or the Sponsoring Institution should indefinitely retain the following core files for all trainees in order to accommodate future requests for primary source verification of program completion:
- any summation of the Trainee's final summative evaluation, and the letter from the program director indicating readiness for unsupervised practice;
- records of the Trainee’s rotations, training experiences, and procedures, as applicable to the specialty;
- documentation of disciplinary action, if any; and,
- verifications, peer review processes, and clinical privileges
Other Records Retention
All Other Trainee records will be retained for a minimum of 5 years after separation from the program or institution, including but not limited to:
- recruitment applications,
- mandatory training documentation,
- background check records,
- work history,
- employee exposure claims,
- classification eligibility records,
- visa records,
- letters of recommendation,
- career counseling,
- reasonable accommodations records.
For additional details, please see UCOP Records Retention Schedule.
ACGME Guidance for Site Visits: https://www.acgme.org/globalassets/PDFs/SiteVisit/Resident-Fellow-Files.pdf
UCOP Records Retention Schedule: https://recordsretention.ucop.edu/
Effective Date: 07/24/2023