1) Establish UCLA as the national and international leader of innovative education for medical students, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and practicing clinicians.
2) Provide the highest quality education for all types of trainees.
Partnering with the UCLA School of Education & Information Studies to establish the new Academy for Excellence in Medical Education.
3) Make UCLA the first choice for the best trainees nationally and internationally.
- Offering merit-based awards that provide four years of financial support to outstanding students.
- Launching the Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) Physician-Scientist Training Program.
4) Retain, develop, support, and reward faculty as teachers.
- Developing robust programs and mentorship in leadership skills, and grant and manuscript writing for faculty, staff and trainees.
- Launching the “Keeping Trainees in Science and Medicine Task Force,” as well as offering stipends for child care/emergency COVID-related needs, for trainees disproportionately impacted by the pandemic.
5) Secure sustainable resources and supportive infrastructure for the educational mission.
- Implementation of a transparent and modern funds flow model (in collaboration with UCLA health system).
Designing a new medical education curriculum
Creating interdepartmental “home area” programs in a joint DGSOM-Life Sciences Graduate Program in Biosciences.
Educators for Excellence
Establishing an academy of educators.