Exchange Visitors need the following documents to enter the U.S.:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp (except for Canadians or when returning from Mexico, Canada or adjacent islands after a trip lasting no longer than 30 days*)
  • Valid paper DS-2019 form with a travel validation signature to re-enter the U.S. after a trip abroad

Travel validation signature is valid for 1 year and accommodates multiple trips within the 1 year. In order to obtain a travel validation signature, the Exchange Visitor must fill out the DS-2019 Travel Signature Request Form.

The DGSOM Visa and Licensing Office will email you an updated DS-2019 form with travel signature.

*Automatic Visa Revalidation allows J-1 holders to enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or one of the adjacent islands to the U.S. (other than Cuba) on an expired J-1 visa if the trip is not exceeding 30 days. If you meet one of the following criteria, you will NOT be able to use the automatic revalidation rule.

  • You applied for a new J-1 visa while being out of the U.S. and it has not been issued.
  • You applied for a new J-1 visa and were denied.
  • You have a terminated or completed SEVIS record.
  • You have been out of the U.S. for more than 30 days.
  • You are a citizen from one of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, North Korea

If you plan to be outside of the U.S. for more than 3 months at one time, then you will also need to submit a J-1 Out-of-Country Request Form request with the DGSOM Visa and Licensing Office.