• J-1: The Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant visa category is for individuals approved to participate in work and study-based exchange visitor program.
  • H-1B Temporary Worker: For individuals coming to be a temporary full-time position with a U.S. employer that requires a professional level of education and experience.
  • O-1 Extraordinary Worker: Available to individuals who have demonstrated a record of national acclaim, a level of expertise indicating that the person has risen to the very top of the filed of endeavor.
  • Permanent Residence: The DGSOM will support applications for permanent residence if the position is permanent, full-time career, and sufficiently high level (e.g., appointments in the Professor and Professional Research series.
  • B-1/B-2 Visitor: Intended for individuals visiting the U.S., generally restricted from working while in the U.S.
  • Visa Waiver Program: The visa waiver program allows citizens of certain countries to enter the U.S. without visas.
  • E-3: Classification that allows citizens of Australia to perform services in a specialty occupation in the U.S.
  • Passport:  Issued by the government of your country of citizenship. Your passport MUST be valid at all times during your stay in the United States.
  • Visa:  A visa stamp issued from the State Department and obtained at an overseas U.S. Consulate that allows for the bearer to enter the United States in a particular category.
    Most visas are for multiple entries; however, certain countries will restrict the amount of entries allowed, based on reciprocity agreement between the U.S. and specific country.
    The visa enables you to enter the U.S. for the time of its validity. Except in certain circumstances (see the section about Mexico/Canada travel ), an individual with an expired visa may be denied entry into the U.S. Once in the U.S., a nonimmigrant can allow his/her visa stamp to expire.
  • Electronic Arrival-Departure Record (I-94 card): For those entering in J-1 or F-1 status, the card should be annotated either J-1 or F-1, with a D/S notation, which stands for Duration of Status.
    If your I-94 does not have these notations, please contact the DGSOM Visa and Licensing Office as you arrive at UCLA.
    The electronic I-94 has replaced the I-94 Card. The electronic version is only offered for those entering the U.S. by air. Those entering by car will still be issued the I-94 card.
  • DS-2019 Form: Scholars present this form to a U.S. Consulate to receive a J-1 visa and therefore enter in J-1 status. The DS-2019 shows the authorized program participation dates and the description and location of the exchange program.
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)  Formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The U.S. government agency enforces U.S. immigration laws.
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD): Small plastic card issued by USCIS to show authorization for employment. The EAD is also known as Form I-688B. EADs may be extended in increments not to exceed one year, and/or up-to the validity of the J-1 Visa holder’s DS-2019. J-2 visa holders (dependents of J-1 visa holders), are eligible to apply for work authorization through the BCIS.
  • Employment Development Department (EDD):  State of California office that provides a “prevailing wage” for the H-1 program.
  • TCN: Third Country National
  • NIV: Non-Immigrant Visa